What is radon?

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas released in rock, soil, and water from the natural decay of uranium.

What makes it dangerous?

Like carbon monoxide, radon is a “silent killer” because it can’t be seen, smelled, or tasted. Because it is invisible and difficult to detect, it can be present at a dangerous level in your home. Radon is often released in the home through the basement floor from the soil underneath, which makes it hazardous and unpredictable. As the second-leading cause of lung cancer deaths in the United States and the leading cause among non-smokers, radon claims more than 20,000 lives annually.

The U.S. EPA has put it simply, stating, “Any radon exposure has some risk of causing lung cancer. The lower the radon level in your home, the lower your family’s risk of lung cancer.” The average person receives a greater dose of radiation from the radon levels in their home than from their joint exposure to all other radiation sources, natural or man-made.